The original Winkworth business was established by Henry Winkworth in 1835 and operated from Curzon Street, Mayfair.
In 1967, the Winkworth business was purchased by Mann & Company, an estate agency business founded in 1891 and purchased in the late 1930’s by the father of Winkworth’s current non-executive Chairman, Simon Agace.
In 1974, the Winkworth business and its three offices were acquired from Mann & Company by Simon Agace who became sole Director and gained control of the Winkworth business. Under Simon Agace’s direction, Winkworth grew to eight owned offices by 1980.
Having observed the successful growth of the franchise model in the USA, Simon Agace saw this as a means of securing talent within a business. In 1981, Simon began converting the eight wholly owned offices to franchises.
The Group went on to expand across the Capital and into other key provincial markets.